Tuesday, August 14, 2012

"The Trail"

We've been following the Hanging Man's trail. He's fast - uncannily fast - but he still leaves a trail like everybody else. Moreso, actually, because I don't think he knows he's leaving it. Or maybe he does and he's just leading us into a trap.

But we're following him anyway. Because we're stupid and we want to kill him before he kills us. How we are to do that is something we're still working out.

We saw him attack another person today - a young girl, short with brown hair. She looked tired and worn out and she didn't even see the Hanging Man coming 'til it was too late and the noose was around her neck.

We charged like it was San Juan Hill and we were the Rough Riders. What idiots we were, me with my Mauser like a club and Blair with his electrical device (I still can't bring myself to call it a 'taser' - what a silly name).

We managed to get close enough so that Blair could cut the rope with their knife and free the young lady. The Hanging Man, on the other hand, was still fast enough to slip away. And he didn't even look angry or irritated. He looked delighted, as if he was glad that we were chasing him.

Before he slipped away, he tipped his hat towards me and said, "That's another noose you owe me. I aim to collect."

"The only noose I'll give you is the one I wrap around your neck," I said. It wasn't the best retort, but it seemed to work fine.

The Hanging Man just smiled and then he was gone.

I went back to where Blair was checking on the girl. She seemed fine, though a little malnourished. "Was he real?" she asked.

"Yes," I said. "Real as anything here is."

"Oh," she said. "I thought this all be a dream."

"A might peculiar dream it would be," I said and introduced myself and Blair.

The young lady looked at us and then told us her name: Georgia, like the state.

By the way that Blair's offering food to her, I suspect we've found a new traveling companion. Which is fine by me - the more we've got, the better protection we have while we sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment