Thursday, August 16, 2012

"Supplies"

We went into another Pawn Shop today. We had the points from Georgia's death and we had to spend them. We needed food and water. And bullets.

I laid my Mauser on the counter and asked one of the club-faced men. "I need seven millimeter cartridges," I said.

"A single seven millimeter full metal jacket bullet for a Spanish Model 1893 is ten points," the club-faced man said.

"So ten bullets is a hundred points?" I asked. "That seems kind of steep."

"It is an antique gun," he said.

I looked around. There weren't that many people in the store. Blair was checking the prices on various loaves of bread. I walked over to them. "Stay in here until I return," I said. "I won't be gone more than a hour at most."

They shrugged and then, almost as an afterthought, asked, "Where are you going?"

"To get more points," I said. I walked back to the counter and the club-faced man. "I need two bullets." He handed me two bullets and I looked at them. Twenty points could mean food for the next few days. But here I had spent it on two pieces of metal whose only purpose was to make it easier to kill.

I loaded them into my Mauser and stepped outside.

It took twenty minutes to find two men fighting. I was lucky, neither one had a firearm. One was holding a long sword and the other was swinging what looked like a mace. The first man swung the mace and nearly hit the other. They were so busy, neither noticed me. Or my antique gun.

I walked back into the store ten minutes later. "Give me ten bullets," I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment